The Buddhist Place posts links to sites and organizations that may be of interest to our membership. Upcoming community events will not be posted here, but will be announced after each of our sittings
Beginners' Meditation Help:
- Mindfulness - The Path To The Deathless - The Meditation Teachings Of Ajahn Sumedho. This sweet, little book will keep you grounded as you start your meditation practice. Ask for a free copy of this book when you visit the Buddhist Place.
- Breathing: Clear instructions without jargon. The first 10 mp3 audio talks by Thanissaro Bhikkhu from a series distributed as a torrent.
- With Each and Every Breath: A Guide to Meditation by Thanissaro Bhikkhu drawing on two sources: the Buddha’s own set of instructions on how to use the breath in training the mind, and Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo’s method of breath meditation, explaining in detail many of the points that the Buddha left in condensed form.
Dhamma On The Internet:
- Dhamma Talks - Dhamma Talks and Writings of Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
- Dharmanet - information and links - an encyclopedia of Buddhism.
- Audiodharma - Massive list of talks provided by The Insight Meditation Center.
- Access to Insight - information and links, many Sutras.
- Dharma Seed Tape Library - audio tapes of talks.
- BuddhaNet - Education and Information Network.
- Dhamma talks by Ajahn Viradhammo, senior monk at Tisarana Monastery, Perth, ON.
Sitting Groups, Teachers and Retreat Centres:
- The Dharma Centre of Canada is an extended community that maintains a study and meditation facility north of Toronto.
- Insight Meditation Retreats - Norman Feldman & Molly Swan.
- Ontario Vipassana Centre - Vipassana Meditation as taught by S.N. Goenka in the tradition of Sayagi U Ba Khin.
- Ottawa Buddhist Society - Theravada Buddhism in Ottawa.
- Sati Saraniya Hermitage - Theravada Buddhist monastery for bhikkhunis, the first of its kind in Canada, where women can receive monastic training or come for periods of work and retreat in a rural setting near Perth, Ontario. Ayyā Medhānandī is the founder and abbess of Sati Sārāņīya Hermitage.
- Springwater Centre for Meditative Inquiry - Retreats in the Finger Lakes, New York.
- Satipañña (pronounced sa-tee-pahn-ya) Insight Meditation Toronto – formerly Spring Rain Sangha - Jim Bedard and Randy Baker - teachers.
- Theravada Buddhist Community of Toronto - Sunday sittings, contact info.
- Tisarana Monastery, Perth, ON - Ajahn Viradhammo is the resident senior monk of Tisarana.
- True North Insight - Meditation Retreats, Ottawa area.
- Waterloo Riverview Dharma Centre - Susan Child and Gwen Sears - Teachers.
The Buddha told us to see the way things are and let go of our clinging to them.
Take this feeling of letting go as your refuge. — Ajahn Chah